What Are Nasal Dilators?
When you start looking for anti-snoring solutions online, you are going to be greeted with thousands of results that vary in terms of what they are offering. Some of the most common anti-snoring products on the market include:
Mandibular Advancement Devices – These are oral anti-snoring mouthpieces that work to adjust the positioning of your lower jaw. They work to adjust your throat in order to offset the conditions that lead to snoring.
Anti-Snoring Pillows – These special pillows focus on leveling your neck so as to keep your throat and corresponding airway as level and unobstructed as possible.
Tongue Stabilizing Devices – These products are similar to mandibular advancement devices in that they are both oral anti-snoring mouthpieces. Tongue stabilizing devices, however, focus on just your tongue – leaving your jaw out of the picture.
Nasal Dilators – These devices are lesser-known anti-snoring products but that doesn’t make them any less effective. Anti-snoring nasal dilators are devices that you wear in your nose. Basically, they are simple products that give you the opportunity to address your snoring problems by focusing on your nose, rather than your throat. Nasal dilators work in a simple way, which we will get into later on in our list of the best anti-snoring nasal dilators, and they are incredibly affordable in comparison to the other anti-snoring products that we listed above.
How Nasal Dilators Work
In order to properly appreciate the different nasal dilators on our list, you have to really understand how the actual devices work. Without understanding how nasal dilators work, you can’t really appreciate the extensive work that has gone into products like SnorePin, ZenSleep, and Nasilator. Let’s start our discussion regarding nasal dilators by addressing how snoring functions in the nose.
When we discuss snoring, we are really discussing two separate topics. There is snoring that occurs due to obstruction inside of your larynx and then there is snoring that occurs through your nose. These two systems of snoring operate on completely different mechanical levels and, as such, they cannot be treated with the same products – not effectively, of course.
Nasal Snoring – With nasal-based snoring, you are going to find that the problem can be divided into several different subcategories. Unlike simple snoring as a result of your larynx, nasal snoring can have a variety of different conditions that cause it to happen. Let’s look at the different forms of nasal-based snoring you will run into. While you read the following list, keep in mind that our best nasal dilators can help attack all of the following problems.
- Collapsing Or Small Nostrils – Leading off our discussion of nasal-related snoring is the problem of small/collapsing nostrils. In this situation, people with small nostrils end up having trouble getting enough air through their nose. With enough resistance, these individuals turn to mouth breathing in order to properly breathe. Once mouth breathing is initiated, airflow problems manifest and snoring begins. Products like ZenSleep seek to help users expand their nostrils, thus allowing the proper amount of airflow to be introduced.
- Nasal Congestion – The most common reason for intense snoring as it pertains to nasal issues is congestion. Congestion, be it from a simple cold or more elaborate problem like allergies, is the root cause of snoring in many people. When you are congested, your body alternates to mouth breathing in order to make sure that you are getting enough air. When you are mouth breathing, your larynx is impacted – thus bringing on more snoring.
- Physical Issues – Finally, the third reason that people are prone to snoring is due to physical abnormalities located within your nose. Nasal polyps are the most common physical alternation known to induce snoring. If you feel that your nasal passageway is struggling to operate correctly due to physical issues, consider consulting your doctor in order to address the problem.
If you suffer from snoring due to any of the aforementioned problems, you are going to want to consider bringing a nasal dilator into your bedroom in order to try and solve the issue. Nasal dilators are incredibly simple pieces of equipment that you can use to immediately start to fix your snoring problems.
Nasal dilators work by acting as physical components used to expand the passageway through your nose. With an expanded nasal passageway, air is going to be transferred in and out of your body more easily. Without this obstruction, your snoring is able to be remedied relatively quickly.
Nasal dilators are typically touted as being quick and easy to use. They are small enough to fit into your nose while still being comfortable enough to sleep in for extended periods of times. Nasal dilators are traditionally made of silicon, rubber or plastic. There are even metal nasal dilators available for use, though we cannot imagine that metal nasal dilators are terribly comfortable.
As you’ll see below in our list of the best nasal dilators, not every single dilator will look or operate the same. Typically, each nasal dilator is going to be clipped into your nose when you go to sleep. You’ll see nasal dilators with basic stents and you’ll see more elaborate nasal dilators that have exorbitant cones that rest within your nose. No matter which design you get, they’ll all seek to address your snoring in an effective way. What are the differences between these two options?
Stents – Stents are easier to fit into your nose and much more comfortable. They are unobtrusive and you may even forget you are wearing them.
Cones – Coned nasal dilators have a leg up on stents because they offer the ability to increase airflow in a tangible way. These elaborate cone systems have more surface area for air to get through your nose.
Now that we discussed the anatomy of a nasal dilator, we can actually walk you through the process of using one on a nightly basis. Nasal dilators are great tools to have in your anti-snoring arsenal, but they are only effective if you use them in the proper way. Follow our simple guide in order to understand how to use nasal dilators like WoodyKnows Nasal Dilators or ZenSleep.
- Take your nasal dilator and rinse it with warm water. This softens up your dilator while improving the flexibility of the product.
- Insert the dilator devices, the two extended ‘arms’ of the device, into your nostrils until they are set comfortably against the bridge of your nose.
- Give a slight tug at the dilator in order to make sure that it won’t fall out when you are sleeping.
- If the dilator falls out easily, remove it and adjust the product to fit your nose. Depending on the style of the dilator, adjusting could be as simple as pinching the arms together.
- Go to sleep.
As you can see, nasal dilators are incredibly simple tools that you can use in your fight against snoring. Snoring is a huge problem for some folks, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Nasal dilators are quick to use, easy to incorporate into your routine, and effective in the fight against snoring. With that being said, you need to make sure that you follow the proper maintenance protocol in order to keep the product safe and effective. What does this mean?
Well, proper maintenance of your nasal dilator includes making sure to wash the product after each and every use. Reusable nasal dilators are typically pretty sturdy, so mild soap and some warm water should do the job. Allow the dilator to air-dry before storing it back in its case. Repeat this process until the dilators are ready to be replaced.
Can Nasal Dilators Stop Snoring For Good?
Snoring is an advanced issue that can be brought on by a number of different things. Snoring is caused when the muscle tissue in your throat collapses during rest. When you sleep, your muscles tend to relax and this includes your tongue and throat. When your tongue falls back into your throat, the partial obstruction creates the snoring effect. Nasal snoring is a little bit different, as we outlined earlier in our guide on the best anti-snoring nasal dilators, but the outcome is the same. Why do we mention this? Because treating snoring is a difficult task.
With nasal dilators, you are setting yourself up for success in treating your snoring. Nasal dilators work to address snoring related to all of the issues that we outlined above: allergies, congestion, polyps, and more. Nasal dilators can absolutely help to treat your snoring though it is rare for any one company to guarantee that your snoring will be gone immediately and for good. Typically, the best anti-snoring dilators will dramatically reduce the level and volume of your snoring. You still have to take some control of the process. So, what can you do to completely get rid of snoring?
- Improve Your Dieting – One of the easiest ways to address snoring is to change your diet and start eating healthier. Physical fitness related to poor dieting is a trigger for snoring. Eat healthier, don’t snack late at night, and avoid products like caffeine and chocolate before bed.
- Use Multiple Products – If you really want to make snoring a thing of the past, consider using multiple anti-snoring products alongside your nasal dilators. Products like ZenSleep offer complete systems that are used to amplify your approach to eradicating snoring. Most nasal dilators are unobtrusive enough that you can use them with other oral products, anti-snoring pillows or even anti-snoring chinstraps.
- Consult A Doctor – Snoring isn’t always due to a fault in your behavior or diet, sometimes it can be symptomatic of a larger medical problem such as sleep apnea. If you haven’t consulted your doctor regarding your problematic snoring, consider doing so. By talking to a medical professional, you will be able to cross any larger issues off of your list of concerns.
- Set Aside Plenty Of Time For Sleep – Finally, make sure that you are budgeting enough time every night for your rest. When you don’t have enough time to sleep, you end up going to bed stressed. Stress is a trigger for snoring and it is one of the easiest triggers to avoid once you know to look out for it.
Are Nasal Dilators Safe To Use?
When it comes to using nasal dilators, one of the most common questions people have is this: are they safe? If you read up on any of the other anti-snoring devices, such as mandibular advancement devices, then you know how these products can be problematic in terms of side-effects. it makes sense to wonder if nasal dilators are similarly prone to side effects.
Fortunately, nasal dilators are completely safe and almost completely free of side effects. With that being said, there are a few side effects that we should list for you so that you are aware of them as you begin your anti-snoring journey. Let’s take a close look at these potential side effects.
- Nasal Irritation – Any time that you put something in your nose, you run the risk of irritating your nasal passages. Nasal irritation typically occurs toward the beginning of your usage of the nasal dilator and abates with prolonged use.
- Mucous Membrane Irritation – Sometimes you’ll find that your mucous membrane becomes irritated while wearing an anti-snoring nasal dilator. This side effect typically goes away within a few weeks.
Whether you come across these two relatively mild side effects or not can be determined by how well you follow our fitting guide listed above. Most side effects in the nasal dilator industry are due entirely to improper sizing. If you find that your nasal dilator does not fit comfortably into your nose, you need to consider moving to a new product. While some nasal dilators have unique adjusting properties, the majority of the dilators are marked as ‘one size fits all.’ Sometimes these ‘one size fits all’ products simply don’t ‘fit all’. Warming up the dilator before use can help to make it more pliable when inserting into your nose, but this should be done as a last resort.
How To Choose The Right Nasal Dilator?
Fortunately, shopping for a nasal dilator isn’t like shopping for a car. Nasal dilators are relatively simple products and their goal is completely clear. Still, you should have a little bit of a knowledge before you go out to buy your next dilator. Now, let’s take a moment to discuss how you choose the right nasal dilator for your personal usage.
- Focus On Quality Materials – The best anti-snoring nose dilator is going to be made of BPA and latex-free material. We typically find that silicone dilators are the most comfortable of the options on the market. Don’t settle for products that are made of interior material because – remember – you are putting this material into your body.
- Pick The Right Size – There is nothing wrong with choosing a nasal dilator that is ‘one size fits all’ so long as you take a moment to ensure that the product fits you correctly. If you have trouble getting these ‘one size fits all products’ to work, consider buying a nasal dilator with an adjustable fitting.
- Pay Attention To Your Budget – The vast majority of anti-snoring nose dilators are going to be relatively affordable little products. However, some of the nicer dilators may end up costing you a couple dollars more. With most dilators, you are going to need to replace them after several months. Be sure to weight longevity against budget before making a purchasing decision.
Choosing the right nasal dilator is relatively simple as a process. Pay attention to your money, your comfort and the materials that go into the nasal dilator that you are considering purchasing. Our list of the best nasal dilators features products with many positive components, so let’s go ahead and take a look at each device in more detail.
Our Top Picks
After multiple rounds of rigorous testing, we have identified the best snoring aids currently available. Now it is time to choose the best snoring aid for you. With the mini-reviews below, you can find out what makes each of our top picks unique and superior to other solutions on the market and discover which one constitutes the most effective solution for your snoring problem.
What is interesting about ZenSleep is that it is an all-in-one anti-snoring system that is meant to address your problems at multiple levels. Our review of the best nasal dilators has us focusing on one individual aspect of ZenSleep: ZenVents. With ZenVents, you are getting a product that is easy to implement into your nightly routine. ZenVents work to address snoring that is a result of nose-related issues such as allergies or nasal congestion.
As part of the greater ZenSleep system, ZenVents focuses on expanding your nasal passageways in order to allow you to breathe easier throughout the night. As you no doubt know by now, snoring is caused by an obstruction of your airways. When your airways become congested, it becomes increasingly difficult to breathe and snoring is the result.
ZenVents are made out of silicone with a BPA-free material. ZenSleep’s entire anti-snoring system is actually pretty impressive in the way that it has managed to stay odor and chemical free where it matters. ZenVent doesn’t have any major side effects to be aware of and the product comes with a convenient storage case. You need to get in the habit of cleaning ZenVents on a daily basis in order to allow the product to last as long as possible while remaining clean.
ZenSleep is an exhaustive system that is meant to treat your snoring at every level. We found ZenVents to be a capable addition to the program despite being relatively ‘average’ in terms of design and comfort.
2. Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator
When looking at Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator, we are almost immediately impressed by the packaging and the marketing for the product. You don’t typically find ‘sleek and modern’ offerings in the anti-snoring field, but the attempt to dress up this specific nasal dilator didn’t go unnoticed or under-appreciated. Still, despite the appearance, you can only go so far with looks. The better question we have to ask ourselves is this: does Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator work to cut snoring out of your life?
Considered a premium anti-snoring nasal dilator, Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator comes in three different sizes, with each specific model allowing for minor adjustments. Unlike most of the best nasal dilators out there, Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator is one of the only options around that allows you to customize the product to your needs. This shouldn’t surprise anyone as Rhinomed, the manufacturer behind the product, is known for their innovative approach to several different genres of products, including high-performance sports accessories.
Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator works in the same way that all of the other anti-snoring dilators works. The product targets the passageways of your nose by using stents to gently extend the airways. With these stents gently installed into your nose during your sleep, your snoring will be reduced throughout the nite. Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator is great for snorers who need to sleep with their mouth closed and can’t use any other oral anti-snoring products. We definitely suggest Rhinomed Mute Nasal Dilator to people who want to address snoring immediately.
SnoreCare made our list of the best anti-snoring nasal dilators for a reason: they seem to work effectively for the majority of the customers that use them. Developed to attack your snoring through your nasal cavity, SnoreCare works much the same as the other nasal dilators that we talked about.
SnoreCare is designed with a hollow cylinder approach rather than the typical stents or cones that are seen in other anti-snoring nasal dilators. These hollow cones are pieced together with a little bit of silicone and this makes them tremendously durable. Unfortunately, SnoreCare is limited in terms of comfort in relation to the other options on our list.
SnoreCare is available in two different sizes, small and big, and that seems to be the extent of the sizing options. Fortunately, SnoreCare has different texture options for people with sensitive nasal cavities: ribbed and smooth. If you find that your nasal dilators tend to fall out, consider opting for the ‘ribbed’ version as it will be a more stable version for you. Comfort isn’t the highest point of this product, but the effective designs make up for that fact.
SnoreCare is a bit on the pricey side in relation to the other anti-snoring nasal dilators on our list. With that being said, SnoreCare has a loyal following of customers who swear by the product.
4. SleepRight Nasal Breathe Aid
Considered one of the best anti-snoring nasal dilators in the world, SleepRight Nasal Breathe Aid is a comfortable nasal dilator that you won’t struggle to wear throughout the night. SleepRight comes in only a single size, but considering its flexibility, it will likely fit without any major issue. In order to properly affix the product to your nose, simply make sure that the flared ends of the nasal stent are facing inward.
As the device features no skin-pulling adhesive, it will be gentle on your skin and you may even forget that you are using it after a couple of nights. According to the testimonials of its users, it is very comfortable to wear, and it doesn’t take too long to get accustomed to using it.
What we found appealing about SleepRight Nasal Breathe Aid was that it seems like this was a product that was built to last. According to the manufacturers, you can use this nasal dilator set for at least 45 days. In order to make sure that your nasal dilator lasts the full 45 days, you should practice the habit of cleaning the dilators every day with a mild soap and cold water. With proper care, SlepRight Nasal Breathe Aid should provide you the tools you need to reduce your snoring.
If you are looking for an affordable way to treat your snoring, SnorePin might just be the product you need. This anti-snoring nasal dilator has won over fans around the world for the simpleness of its use, the unique design, and the affordable price tag.
The first thing that you’ll notice about SnorePin is that it is built using an innovative cone design. These cones work to keep your nasal airways opened up while providing them with enhanced ability to move fresh air in and out of your nose. The cone design maximizes the area that air can move around and we’re frankly surprised that more anti-snoring nasal dilators haven’t copied the design.
SnorePin is made out of latex-free materials and is comprised completely of hypoallergenic polyurethane. While this material is durable and long-lasting, it pales in comparison to silicone in regards to comfort. However, we are willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort for more efficiency when it comes to actually treating our snowing problems.
SnorePin is a unique anti-snoring device that can be implemented almost immediately. It can be used by anyone ages 10 and up.
6. WoodyKnows Nasal Dilators
WoodyKnows Nasal Dilators are made to address a variety of different nasal-related breathing issues. Whether you struggle with chronic congestion or simple allergies, WoodyKnows Nasal Dilators can help to treat your problem.
Founded back in 2006, WoodyKnows has been helping customers treat their snoring issues for over a decade. Relatively affordable, WoodyKnows Advanced Nasal Dilators are a well-rounded product that helps to significantly reduce your level of snoring. Where this product differs in comparison to other options on our list of the best nasal dilators can be seen almost immediately: the design. The unique honey-combed design of the dilator allows for you to maximize the airflow going in and out of your nose, thus freeing up the pressure and tension that so often leads to extensive snoring.
WoodyKnows Nasal Dilators are available in four different sizes, so the likelihood of finding a dilator that works for your specific nose is pretty good.
When you go looking for the best nasal dilators around, you’re likely going to be focused on finding a product that has been scientifically backed to be effective while also being comfortable to use. Backed by clinical studies, Nasilator works to instantly attack your nasal-related snoring. How does it do this?
First, Nasilator’s manufacturers offer an affordable Sizing Pack that allows you to make sure that you get the right set of nasal dilators for your body. As with all anti-snoring devices, it is absolutely essential that you get a product that can fit you appropriately.
Looking at the design of Nasilator, you’ll notice that it features a multi-ring set of stents which form a connected U-shape. These stents are soft and do not irritate the skin of your nose. Nasilator works to keep your nasal passageways expanded, thus preventing the problematic snoring you’ve likely been fighting for so long. Nasilator can work to attack congestion from sinus issues, issues with deviated septums or even simple snoring. This is an affordable nasal dilator for just about anyone who is trying to get ahead of their snoring problems.